St George’s Church
The St. George’s Cathedral, Timișoara or The Dome is located in Timișoara, Romania, at Piața Unirii, in the centre of town. It is one of the most valuable buildings of Baroque architecture in Timișoara and the Banat. The interior is luxurious and expressive, with Rococo elements created by painters and sculptors of Vienna. The acoustic is great, many organs concerts being organized here.
The Brück House is an early 20th century Art Nouveau (Secession) style historical monument located in the city of Timisoara, Romania. The four-story building is located in the southern part of the city’s magnanimous Union Square. The Bruck House stands in the location where a previous, Austrian Baroque style, building known as the Golden Cross Pharmacy originally stood in the early 1800s. The original building was owned by the wealthy Zifkovich family until 1910 when the businessman Salomon Brück purchased it so he could operate his own pharmacy out of the structure.
The Timișoara Art Museum is housed in a building from the 18th century known as the Baroque Palace. The museum has 8 art collections: Contemporary Art, European Graphic Art, Decorative Art, European Art, The Baba (1906 – 1997) Collection, Interwar Painting from Banat Area, 19th Century Painting from Banat Area, Old Art from Banat Area. The contemporary art collection centers around the different artistic directions of art in Timișoara.
The Orthodox Cathedral
The Orthodox Cathedral also known as the Metropolitan Cathedral, is a Romanian Orthodox church in Timișoara. The cathedral is the seat of the Archbishopric of Timișoara and the Metropolis of Banat. It is dedicated to the Three Holy Hierarchs, Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian and John Chrysostom.
Built on an area of 1,542 m2, it has 11 towers, of which the central one has a height of 90.5 m, making it the second tallest church in Romania, after the People’s Salvation Cathedral in Bucharest. The cathedral is listed in the National Register of Historic Monuments.
The history of the cathedral is closely linked to the year 1919, when, on 28 July, Banat was united with Romania. The new Romanian administration took a series of measures to encourage Orthodoxy, neglected by the previous Austro-Hungarian administration, which was only favorable to the Catholic religion. Thus, the Bishopric of Timișoara was created, elevated to the rank of archbishopric in 1939, and in 1947 the Metropolis of Banat was established.
“Memorialul Revoluţiei” Association
“Memorialul Revoluţiei” Association was established on April 26th 1990 to honour and keep alive the memory of the Martyr Heroes as well as to find out the truth about the events of December 1989. Our premises host a complex of monuments, several exhibition halls, one research centre and a publishing house.